Sports News Story
In the first game the Warriors came out strong against the first place Cavaliers and kept it close till half time. Max Rodde and Shawn Gill started out hot pacing the Warriors with 6 points each. It was the strong play of Jonah Reimer and Makenna Reimer that led the second half charge and saw the Cavs jump to and final score of 36 to 18, putting them in the final on Saturday at 6:30. Jonah had a game high 16 pints while Makenna haulled in 14 boards to lead the Cavs.
In the second game, the Hawks started strong and put the Cougars away by a wide margin 34 to 10 with Isa Habib netting a game high 10 points ad Mac Smith and Caleigh Reimer netting 8 points each. Jay Chong paced the Cougars with 6 points in the loss. The Hawks moved to the semi finals with the win and will play the Korvers.
In the game of the night, Korver and Bulls put on a competitive display that rivaled the older division with Korver pulling to a lead only to see it evaporate in the final minutes and go to overtime. In sudden death, the Hawks won the tip and had the first chance to score but failed and Korver came down with Jade Fofonove making a great pass to Jaya Sidhu who hit the shot to win the game. This game was a battle of the two Fofonove brothers with older brother Jade coming out on top. Seth Fofonove had a huge game for the Bulls with 18 points whil Jade went for 16 and Taran Dhaliwal,leading scorer in league play, hitting for 12 and 11 boards. Korver goes to the semi final against the Hawks for the rights to meet the Cavaliers in the final. The Bulls move on to face the Cougars in the bronze game.
In the older division, the first game of the night the 1st place Bashers met the 6th place Ballers and an upset was in the making early as the Ballers jumped out to an early lead. The Bashers fought back but it was not enough as the Ballers prevailed with a 55 to 31 score. The win puts the Ballers in the championship game on Saturday at 6:30 against either the Dream Team or Money playing in the semi final. Pacing the Ballers were Arash Lohat with 23 points and Armaan Brar with 16 points. The Bashers were led by JJ Cruikshanks with 14 points and 7 rebounds.
The second game saw Dream up against the powerfull MVP squad led by leading scorer Ammetoje Khangura. The game lived up to its billing and was a see saw affair that finally ended in a Dream win 59 - 52. This game was close throughout the evening and was very exciting to watch and see the intensity of the players rise to the challenge of a big game. The key to the game was stopping leading scorer Khangura and the Dream Team did a good job in holding him to 12 points. Sukhpreet Kailey led MVP with 17 points in a losing cause but played his finest game of the season in the quarter finals. The star of the game for Dream was Hayden Fast as he converted shot after shot from Sam Davenport to a game high 17 points but more importantly ad game and season high 18 rebounds. Big Harkeerat Dhaliwal played his best game of the season and contributed with 14 points and 13 rebounds while shutting down khangura. ths put Dream in the semi finals against Money in a showdown to see who plays the upstart Ballers in the Saturday final.
In the last game of the night, Money vs 11 Teens saw both sides with great intensity and the game was close till Money had a spurt late to pull ahead and win by a 55 to 45 score. Arvin Toor, who has been quiet of late, had a huge game with 25 points and many assists that led to easy baskets. Armaan Brar chipped in with 14 points and 11 rebounds to pace Money. Teens were led by Sahil Sidhu with 16 points and will see Teens in the bronze game against MVP.
There will be an awards ceremony after the championship game to give out championship medals, all-stars, MVP, and winners of the scoring and rebounding stats for both divisions at 7:45 in the room opposite the gym at ARC. Pizza and pop to be included ans all players in the league are invited to attend.
Summer League Rules
1. 2 running time halves, first half 25 minutes running time, 5 minute half, second half 22 minutes running time with last 2 minutes stop time if score with in 10 points
2. Shooting fouls – 1 shot worth 2 points – if make a shooting foul – 1 shot worth 1 point awarded
3. Each win worth 2 points but an extra point will be added for all teams having each person on roster score.
4. 6 fouls to foul out of game
5. Tie games decided by sudden death with the start a jump ball at center
6. Stats for top 10 scores and rebounders will be kept
7. Playoffs on the last week to determine a champion in each division
8. Any technical foul will result in sitting for rest of game and the next game.
9. Teams to keep track of subs and play to be fair – referees and gym coordinator to watch over this
10. Substitutions every 4 minutes – horn to sound and referee to stop game and subs rotate in – in second half sub rotation for last 2 minutes in effect
11. Players must register with scorers table before they enter the game and their number for the game is the order on the score sheet – failure to report to scorer table to put name on score sheet is a technical foul for other team.